Saturday, March 8, 2008

Gardening 101

I have spring fever really bad. I can't wait for the weather to be warm. I saw one of the tulips, that I actually planted, starting to come up and just got so excited. Yesterday was a beautiful day here, so I started in the morning pruning my roses for the spring. I am just learning all I need to do for this big yard we now have to take care. It is no small feat. It is nice that we already have many things established, but hard because I am so clueless. Luckily I have neighbors who have very green thumbs. So with a little advice I took to chopping many stems off, raking weeds, and cleaning my beds. In one area of our yard, we have several grass weeds that are overtaking the previous owners tulips and other flowers, so I had to get in there and pull several weeds. It was actually fun.
Time seemed to fly by. But as I uncovered more patches of tulips and flowers, it was even more fun. I haven't finished that area yet, but after 6 hours of sun, pruning, picking, and pulling, my back and neck hurt and it was time to call it a day. Oh but the feeling of actually doing something productive. I enjoyed it a lot. Needless to say, I hope that until the spring is over and I can actually dig up the bulbs, re-till the ground and spray weed killer, that I can keep the weeds to a minimum this year and enjoy the fruits of the previous owners' labors. It is fun to get the yard ready for spring. I hope to become better educated as the years go by, because now, it is a little overwhelming. I am getting a little edge on the flowers and such, at least what I already have. I bought window baskets for flowers I want to plant, and I can't wait to do that also! In addition,I have started new research on taking care of our fruit trees in the back yard and the vegetable garden we will soon be planting. There are so many things to learn and do, so hopefully nothing will suffer too much this year, and maybe next, as we learn to be "master gardeners." :) I am excited to see a green lawn, beautiful tulips, flowering fruit trees, and hopefully if we are lucky.... edible vegetable in our garden (when the time comes). I did attend a beginning vegetable gardeners class this morning at Thanskgiving point, and that was very helpful! For now, one thing at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment