Thursday morning at midnight, Nelson and I went to the airport, hoping to board our plane (as we were standby). The chances didnt look good, there were a ton of people there for a red eye flight! We were a little worried we would have to come home and go back for the next 8am flight! But at the last minute, we got on! yeah! We didnt get to sit next to each other, that stunk! He actually sat right in front of me and we both sat in row B! Yuck! No one would trade us and it was a long 4 hour flight! And I have to mention that all those people must have thought it was like 4pm, because I would have thought they would be tired and try to sleep at that hour...but oh no...there were plenty of talkers and readers and plenty of excitement! Needless to say, it was miserable trying to sleep in the middle seat...I dont think I rarely moved in 4 hours and being 8 months pregnant, eeh...not a good idea. My feet and legs were in other words, super puffy! When we arrived I could barely walk on my feet, there were so swollen! All the details you wanted to know about our trip and more...right? So we head towards the air tram from JFK airport. I must have looked super sad and puffy because luckily the guy on the little carts gave us a ride, which would have otherwise been at 10-15 minute walk! Wew! That was nice! We found the airtram, headed the right way, or so we hoped and set out for our first subway experience. Rush hour! It was 6:30 in the morning....and although it is always pretty busy, this was super busy. More standing...for a long ways. We piled in the subway with our suitcases and finally arrived at my friend Angie's apartment about 8am. Pooped and Tired! She had to work our first day, so we took a little nap and then woke up ready to hit the town about noon! Our first stop...where else? Pizza!
Koronet's Pizza...cheap ($3.75), huge, and oh so delicious! Oh my goodness...I will continue to dream about it for days. After lunch we headed for the statue of liberty. The weather wasn't too much in our favor...it made for bad pictures, but that is okay. We went took the ferry to Staten Island and back and got pictures of the statue...although it was pretty foggy. We got a picture of Ellis Island, which I really wanted to go to, but we didnt have time. It closed before we go there. I guess it takes several hours for the tour and we didnt know that...so by 3:30, their last trip had already left! What a bummer! I really wanted to see it. Oh well, so we went looking around, saw the temple, rested our puffy legs in Barnes and Noble and waited for Angie to meet us at a movie! We went to see Duplicity....super disappointing....long, a little tiring, and well, just disappointed. We went to see Time Square at night, which is way cool, but rainy...so again, not the best pics, but fun nonetheless. We headed home, dont you worry to get another piece of that divine pizza and then to crash...Friday we had big plans. :)So on Friday, we were planning on waking up early to go see the today show, but Nelson and I hadn't had more than 5 hours of sleep in two days, so no luck there. We got up and left by 9 or so. We got to Rockefeller Plaza about 10, which was too late for the outside taping, but they were still taping inside. On the monitors, we could see ourselves in the background....I guess that is our claim to fame. Even if it was only broadcast in the plaza. Because when we got home to find ourselves, the backgrounds seemed to be blotted out and we couldn't see us. :) Hmmmm...oh well. Everything looked smaller than it does on tv in all the movies. It was fun to see the ice skating rink and all the studios where things are filmed....After the plaza, we headed for the Brooklyn Bridge. By this time I am thinking, if I can just make it across we can sit down for lunch (we were planning on going to a famous pizza place under the bridge). It was very pretty and a long walk, and super tiring. Mind you, not only am I very prego, but we have to walk everywhere in this town..up and down the stairs to the different subway stops....and then to each destination.) Yikes. From the bridge you can see a great view of the skyline, the statue of liberty, and the empire state building. It was very pretty. So we crossed, and headed for Gribalade's Pizza, located literally under the Brooklyn Bridge. The pizza is suppose to be fantastic. When we get there, keep in mind, there are no other restaurants around, not even any businesses at least for 1/4 of a mile. There is a random line of people waiting to get into the restaurant. By Random I mean at least 50 people in line. You have to wait in line even for takeout! Where else to we have to be? So we wait in line happy to try the pizza. The guy in front of us tells us it is so good, he just flew from France, had a lay over for a couple of hour, and this is the place he ran over to.) Okay, cant wait to try it! We waited in line for about 30 minutes, not too bad. They have at least 75 people crammed into this restaurant that is not really too big. But everyone is chowing down. So we ordered our pizza, and to report. It was really good. They make it in a brick oven with real mozzerella and the yummiest sauce. It was good. The man from france sat behind us and devoured his entire pizza, all by himself. (There are only two sizes of pizza...no slices....large and larger. )
So feeling refreshed, we took the subway back north to Central Park. It is a fun park, but still not quite green, so not as pretty as it can be. We crossed the park at went into the MET to get a little art. It was neat to go into such a famous place and see some of the great art from Picasso, Monet, etc. But let's face it, we aren't the "artsy" type, so after we saw what we wanted, it was on to the next place. :)The next place..Yankee Stadium! Here is where our story takes a turn for the worse. BE prepared. We head up the subway to the edge of Harlem...yep, the edge of Harlem to go to Yankee Stadium. Yes, we were going to see a Yankees game, one I researched for and bought tickets to months ago! We get there, only to find out what...."Oh, I am sorry they are playing in FLORIDA!" What? Yep, spring training games are in florida! On the website, it is listed as a home game...then if you look really hard in the tiny little writing....you will see *all home games for spring training are in Tampa, Florida. WHAT? I was so mad, sad, and dissappointed I couln't believe it. Apparently so were the other people it happened to as well, they were from Norway! So since this was the biggest thing I was looking forward to, it was hard to bounce back from that loss. We headed to eat dinner at Max Brennan's Chocolate restaurant...(not the official name) but famous for there like 50 page menu of chocolate things. They are only in other foreign places, and then New York. We ate dinner, had really crappy service...by chance of our waiter...and then went home to sleep some more. But first we stopped at "Pinkberry," a yummy yogurt parlor...mmmmm.....Saturday we planned to get up at 4 am to go get in line for standby tickets to SNL. So we actually get up, get dressed, head over to NBC studios (in the rain) to get in line for tickets. Mind you, the subway at 4 am...a little scary really. We get there and cant figure out why there is no line. Oh, guess what, they arent taping this weekend! I couldnt believe it. No where on the website did it say that! GRRRRRR...now I am getting really mad and frustrated. So we go home to sleep and then decide to see a broadway show to lift our spirits. :) We got our tickets for the matinee and then browsed around time square, NBC studios, and souvenir shops until our show. We saw "Shrek" the musical, which was super cute and funny. We loved it. It was a great way to bounce back from all the disappointment. After the musical we decided to eat somewhere we wouldnt be disappointed, so we found an "Outback" which was a delicious change from all the pizza. We had a great dinner, then went to see Grand Central Station, went to the LDS temple and took pictures, and then went on a taste test to a few other places we had missed during our trip. We tasted some yummy hot dogs from Gray's Papaya, some yummy crepes at a crepe place, and then you guessed it....last on our list, one more piece of pizza. I guess all the walking boosted our appetities. Seems like all we did Saturday night was eat. :) But it was good. Then it was time to get some shut eye and get up at 4am for our flight home.
At this point, I was not real interested in the subway at the wee hours, so we took a taxi, unfortunatley, not the cash cab...darn, to the airport. We lucked out and gone on the place, got to sit next to each other, and had an empty seat in our isle! Ahhhh...that was a great way to end our trip. With a little piece and comfort. Overall, we had a lot of fun. What I have learned? Make sure you plan out your trip accordingly....I thought I had, but no, now I am so much wiser. Talk to someone who is familiar and know what to do and what order to do it in. Avoid the subways early in the morning. Plan on lots of walking....dont go if you are 8 months pregnant, all that walking could very well put you into early labor, if not, just makes you really miseralbe, tired, and puffy often. Take frequent breaks. :) Definitely eat pizza, hot dogs, pizza, and hot dogs. :) Yum! Dont give money to every bum who gets on the subway, plays an instrument, sings, or just gives a speech and then passes around a hat. 42nd street, where all the action is...in the subway anyways, lots of talent and lots of hats.(for money). Pinkberry yogurt, delicious, now I know what the american express commercial is about. Read the fine print when purchasing any, and I mean any tickets. Perhaps call ahead to make sure a show is filming so you dont get up at 4 am. (how else can we know). If you want to go to the today show...outside taping is only 7 to 9am. NBC tour, get tickets ahead. Definitely see broadway and all the historic sites. Eat pizza. Eat hot dogs. Perhaps it is best to avoid the crazies on the street walking everywhere with a trashbag on wheels saying "Lady, you wanna purse?" Hmm..questionable. No thanks! Eat pizza, eat hot dogs. Hope it doesn't rain, be patient, and know that in New York, no matter what, you stick out like a sore thumb! I could spot the tourists a mile away. (EX: while walking through central park, we saw one of Angie's friends from church...she said, " I saw a pregnant girl and a blond boy, and said they must be from utah!" ) Ha! In all the hustle and bustle, people are generally nice. Many people got up for me on the subway to sit down, or offered. I saw many people give money to homeless guys, when they probably didnt have the money themselves. So in all our fun, tiredness, and disappointment, at least we know there are still decent people in the world. And now we are so tired, and glad to be home! Do I love New York? Eh...not really. A different world for me. It was fun and a great experience, but I love being home with my babies! Next adventure...Ryder Nelson Cluff....May 20th. :) Stay tuned.


