Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Best Breadsticks in the World!


Although I can't take credit for the recipe or seasonings, I can take credit for making them. That in itself is a feat. It has taken me many times to get them really good...and I think they are now. Maile and Camille may remember my first attempt..yikes. :) I love these breadsticks. I make them with anything italian or any soup. I decided to post the recipe and some pictures just for the fun of it. For one, there is a lack of really interesting things to blog about in these cold winter days...and two...they are just so pretty and tasty. :) So today, a little bit from the kitchen of Valerie and her helpers. :)

Lion House Dinner Roll Recipe (what I use for breadsticks too)
2 Cups of warm water (100 to 115 degrees)
2/3 cup of nonfat dry milk (instant or non-instant)
2 TBS dry yeast (SAF's brand the best)
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup of butter (real butter)
1 egg
5 to 5 1/2 cups of bread flour

Directions: Combine water and milk powder, stir unti milk dissolves. Add yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups of flour. Mix on low until ingredients moistened, then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add 2 more cups of flour, mix on low until wet, then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup flour at at time in mixer or by hand until dough is soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff. ( I usually use a total of 5 1/4 cups). Scrape dough out and place in bowl with tiny bit of veg. oil) Roll the dough around in oil and cover in bowl until doubled. Roll out into desired breadstick shape...bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Top with butter and seasonings.

Garlic Bread Seasoning
1/2 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
2 tsp kosher salt
2 TBSP garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp marjoram
2 tsp parsley

Mix all together. ( I keep a large jar made of it for future use) Mix desired amount with melted butter and put on breadsticks. :) Yummmy!


In the Oven


My Helpers